Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Goodbye, See you later...

In recent years, I've learned that I can't really plan for things to happen, and I definitely don't have as much control as I thought I once did. When I moved to Arizona, I had no idea that I would end up staying for another year. And at the beginning of this, my third, year, I had no idea that at the end of it I would be packing up and moving back across the country to another new place. But, by golly, I wouldn't change it for the world. (Well, if I could pack up SJV and move it with me, I would!)

I almost kept it together after Sister announced at the parent meeting that she, I, and two other teachers are leaving next year...until one of the moms of a third grader said to me, "How am I supposed to go home now and break my child's heart?" (Um, what do I say to that? Let's just say the tears started rolling, and I came across about 10 more parents on the way out of the hall.)

Well, the word is out now, and the goodbyes have officially started. It's been interesting so far in that I haven't ever had the opportunity to see the kind of impact I've had at my school, and to hear what the students and parents and fellow teachers have to say knowing that I am now on my way elsewhere means a lot.

It reminded me that oftentimes we let things go by without really letting others know how we feel about everything they did for us in a certain situation. These are the things we need to be saying all along. They shouldn't build up at the end because that makes the goodbyes and moving on that much harder, even when we know the potential good that's in store as we continue onward...

No comments:

Post a Comment