Wednesday, April 13, 2011

That's Not Fair!

Maybe it wasn't the best thing to do, but I kept in about 5 students from recess today...

Student: "But Miss Foyle, I thought you don't believe in keeping us in from recess."
Me: "Yes, but this isn't for an assignment for me. If it was, I could handle things differently. But you need to stay inside to finish your penpal letters that I need to mail today."
Student: "But that's not fair."
Me: "What's not fair is if your penpal doesn't get a letter."

So, yes, they stayed inside to write. And yes, they complained for about the first 5 minutes. But once they realized they weren't getting anywhere by complaining, the students finally started to put their ideas down on paper and got interested in what they were writing.

And, while they didn't make it out to recess today, I did feel ok about that because they got to get their lunches first, and they had early dismissal from school. And, they almost all finished their letters.

Was it a tough lesson for some of them? Yes. Why, taking away recess is like cutting off one of their extremities. They live for recess. Did the punishment fit the "crime?" I think so. Will the students think twice before blowing off another assignment? I'd like to believe they will. Do I still love them and trust them? Absolutely.

Oh, and on a side (but related) note, my kiddos are getting so much better at making paragraphs centered around topics and also focusing a letter/essay in a very organized manner. Progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment