Drama practice ended this afternoon, and most of the kids scattered to the wind. The only problem was that such action left only a handful of students, the drama teacher, and me to clean up. Sadly, there really is no repercussion, just frustration on those of us who stayed behind. And the kids that stayed, well, they won't be getting anything special for doing so.
And I almost left right at the end too - but I'm glad I thought better of it. Who am I to leave and leave the work for someone else? Have not I participated in the event as well? I guess I grew up believing that it was common courtesy to stay and clean or that it even was a thank you to the person(s) who had taken the time to lead the practice/etc. in the first place. (And maybe that came from watching my parents...)
I think we, as a society, need to take a moment to remind ourselves of the essentialness of putting thoughts of others above thoughts of ourselves. (I just emphasized this idea to my fourth graders today, in fact!) It's so easy to get swept up in our own responsibilities and desires that we forget other people have places to go, things to do, and goals to achieve as well. It can't be about "me." It has to be about "us."
No comments:
Post a Comment