Monday, March 7, 2011

Makin' me happy

Favorite book club of the year - Sharon Creech's Hate That Cat (and Love That Dog). Why? Because I get to shake up these students' views of what poetry really is - there is so much more to it than rhyming or being "for girls!" (Oh, and the fact that they're making their "poetic licenses" tomorrow also makes me happy...)

School flew by (Monday's usually do), and after school proceeded just as quickly with sign language club, classroom prep for tomorrow, a quick jog at the gym, dinner, and a previous student's softball game out by the school. Man, now I really know why parents were always bundled up on the sidelines of our soccer games even when we, as players, were not that cold - it felt like 20 degrees (and it was really only about 60)! But, my student's mom came to the rescue with a nice blanket that kept my legs warm. And we were all filled with a rush of adrenaline when this student got to pitch in a game for the very first time! (Usually, she plays first base.) I stayed to the end of the game - the girls won! - and then I headed home, "Water for Elephants" playing over the speakers the whole way.

Now the evening is now sadly winding to a close. But I can't hit the hay before I get some concrete ideas together for Book Club. (That's what I get for leaving the novel at school over the weekend!) I do hope to get some shut-eye soon, though, as last night was one of those ones that I just couldn't sleep a wink...

Today was really a good day, though. I think it helped that I went looking for the positive (except when it was better to think in the negative (direction-wise) during math - bad joke - sorry!) in every situation. Yep, that usually does it - optimism it is!

"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty."
-Winston Churchill

No comments:

Post a Comment