Only this I want:
but to know the Lord,
and to bear his cross
so to wear the crown he wore.
but to know the Lord,
and to bear his cross
so to wear the crown he wore.
Let your heart be glad,
always glad in the Lord,
so to shine like stars
in the darkness of the night.
always glad in the Lord,
so to shine like stars
in the darkness of the night.
- Dan Schutte (1981)
I don't know what it is about Communion time at Mass, but the songs usually end up striking close to home. I'm finding I like the Church up the street more and more.
I actually went to Mass twice today (daily and weekend) - there's nothing quite like beginning and ending your day in communion with others...
Yes, my alarm rang at 7 this morning - and, no, it was not to go for a run. Today was the Confirmation retreat for high school students at a nearby parish. I got roped in because I had helped last year, and Rob needed a hand. I respect Rob and the work that he does, and I also knew that it would be worth my time to go and help out - reflection, prayer, and praise and worship never hurt anyone.
We went to daily Mass as a retreat team after we set up for the activities of the day. And as the day flew by, I realized how much I actually enjoyed working with high school students. (As far as ever teaching in a high school setting, that remains to be seen.) Yes, at times it was like pulling teeth to get some discussions going, but overall we had some quality small group time. They were very receptive. I also found time for self-reflection, and I really needed that. At the end of the retreat, just sitting in the chapel in the presence of God and the retreatants was such a blessing. As Rob said, we get as much out of something as we put in, and I was happy to discover that for myself.
I'll probably put some student work packets together here in just a little bit. Maybe I'll get some recreational reading in too. I know, though, that it'll be an early night for me - I am plum exhausted! Tomorrow will hopefully bring a run, errands, and lesson plans. Plus, I have some packing to do this week - excited to head up north for some cooler weather!
No comments:
Post a Comment