First of all, I thought the race began at 7, so I got up at 6 so I could check out the race route online and get the map in my head and then get going. I realized my mistake once I was en route, so I decided it would probably be smart to get a bottle of water (to stay hydrated, of course) from somewhere, so I did, but that was after some trouble of avoiding road closures. Yikes!
Well, I got to the 8 mile marker (where my principal originally told me they would be) right as the wheelchair racers were getting there and the front group of runners were soon following. I stayed and cheered for awhile, realizing that in the mobs of runners I had probably missed Fr. John. Oh, and my principal was nowhere to be found. After checking in with them over the phone, I decided to proceed to the 18 mile marker, but it took me forever to get there because I took a cross street too early and ended up at mile 16 (with no way to head east on that same road). Finally, I was able to make it to mile 22, where there was a McDonald's (bathroom and coffee stop!) and a nice corner for which to keep a lookout for both Fr. John and Sr. Ignacia. Well, Fr. John did end up running by (and I saw him!) right ahead of the four hour pace group, and I learned later that Sr. Ignacia and the students were at Mile 23. I tried.
It was definitely fun being out and about this morning, watching the race and also catching an amazing sunrise (see picture below). But it also got me in the mindset that another marathon is in order, so I need to get on that. New state, perhaps? Time (and my legs) will tell...

Oh, and the rest of my day was rather uneventful. A nap was definitely in order, and I just got back from a delicious Italian dinner with George and his grandparents and Nick. Good times. Well, I believe the restaurant's slogan was something like "Great food. Great friends. Great times." Classic.
Tomorrow calls for a hike (first one of the year!) and some lesson planning. (I'm glad I did my grading on Friday...)
And maybe, just maybe, I'll put some thought into my future - or at least into next year...
pretty picture!
ReplyDeletecheering for marathons is fun too- as evidence from part of the jackson marathon. ;)