"It is risky to move out of your comfort zone, especially when it moves your colleagues out of theirs." (didn't catch the name of the person quoted here - sorry!)
Today's workshop/conference was surprisingly energizing and worthwhile. What I think was the most comforting thing was that these two exceptional teachers still have students who get distracted from time to time (and on video) and they still struggle at times to adjust to create the best plan of action for a student. But they are resourceful and creative, and they have strategies and structure that work in their classrooms. It also made me realize that even though I may be doing things not as conventional (e.g. not using the basal reader or doing a ton of book reports) in my reading and writing time, my students are still learning, and it's all happening in a meaningful way. I really needed that reinforcement right about now, so it could not have come at a better time. :)
I honestly had a good time today: I laughed, I learned, I questioned...While I know it will not happen over night, I believe attending conferences such as this one are keys to helping me become a better teacher - more strategies, more ideas, more examples, more hands-on learning, more modeling, more educational resources and books. I often wish I could be a sponge and just soak up all the information! Some of it sinks in and sticks right away, but other information and ideas I need to keep revisiting again and again.
Perhaps the best part of the day was realizing how special a bond is between sisters. These women were hysterical, and they clearly have a shared passion for teaching reading and writing to their students. Some of the "jabs" and stories they pulled on each other today reminded me of something Marisa and I would do...
...And that actually made me even more excited for heading up to visit Chicago for the marathon in less than 2 weeks!! Woo hoo!
soooo... what you're saying is we need to move to the same city and teach together. :)
ReplyDeleteabsolutely :) - can we say DREAM job?
ReplyDelete