Thursday, September 2, 2010

Getting Personal

"Do you mind my asking - what size skirt do you wear?" (No, I don't mind, I'm a such and such.)

"Do you mind if I ask you how old you are?" (That's an easy one - 24 - and I don't mind.)

"Do you mind if I ask, are you seeing anyone out here?" (Don't mind this one either - nope.)

"Will you be teaching here when we're in fourth grade next year?" (Can't fairly answer that one yet - sorry.)

...

No big deal - not that personal, I suppose - and every question had its reasoning. For example, the whole skirt size thing was to see if I would fit in some skirts of one of my co-workers because she was going through some things and wanted to pass them on. Turns out we're the same size, so that's good.

On another note, I literally sat down in the middle of class today in front of the whiteboard out of frustration - the students just were not listening. Ah! Granted, this morning was filled with nothing besides a couple of tests and two specials periods, so I guess they had to let it loose at some point, especially with the long weekend starting at 3 today. But we carried on.

And I held volleyball practice after school - we are starting with the basics, as some of these students have never really played, and those that have never really received any coaching. We worked on keeping our arms still and bending our legs when bumping, and we worked on not tossing the ball so much during underhand serving. First game's on Wednesday, so we'll see how it goes. It's rough being outside in this heat! I realized that later as I was putting George's chicken dinner in the oven to bake at 400 degrees that it reminded me of being in the sun at 3 p.m. Yikes!

In-service tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment