Monday, September 13, 2010

Simply Splendiferous

What time was it?! (No, not time to move the chains)

Time to CELEBRATE Roald Dahl's birthday...and in Grade 4 that's exactly what we did. Well, we did have to deal with some ITBS testing and other business first, but that's ok.

In honor of this great occasion, we kicked off our book clubs (also commonly referred to by some as "novel studies") this afternoon by reading the first 2 chapters of "James and the Giant Peach". At first I wasn't sure how the book would go over - the kids were dubious, and were not paying attention 100%, but as soon as we started reading, they were hooked. "Man, Miss Foyle, this is good" to which I replied, "You think this is good? Honey, we haven't even gotten to the good stuff yet." (Got 'em!)

In other school news, Sign Language Club kicked off today. I only had 13 students, but that's because the third and fifth graders didn't get their forms to take home yet. I'm thinking we'll end up with around 20-25 or so students in total. But, I don't care if it's five or fifty, as long as the kids WANT to be there. And these students did! We learned a number of things today in our 40 minutes together: signs to Happy Birthday, the ABCs (and spelling our own - and everyone else's names), and I love you. We also learned more about each other with an action game. And then we just had plain fun with the banana dance (a favorite from last year - it's amazing how it never gets old).

All in all, not a bad Monday - not the best, but we had our high points...

Quote to ponder for the day (from Sunday's Magnificat reflection) -->
"Ordinary things are in the Church for ordinary people, but God has other things for special people, and even the ordinary contains something special, which those who love more deeply can understand." - Francisco de Oscena

Truth...

No comments:

Post a Comment