Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Gratitude for the "small" things

"We pray for the big things and forget to give thanks for the ordinary, small (and yet really not small) gifts." -Dietrich Bonhoeffer

This quote was offered in an Ignatian Spirituality blog to which I am subscribed, and it was included in the context of making a "gratitude list" - when we're stuck or grow impatient at anything life throws at us, it is helpful to step back from time to time and remember the small (yet, really, not so small) things God has blessed us with each day.

Let's see, I'm grateful for...

Starting the week off at school with a Tuesday, rather than a Monday...and not being confused about it...

Seeing A-Wall (ACE supervisor) briefly at school...and not having to worry about making sure I had things all ACE-related together...

Hearing my students won their first volleyball game yesterday...and being able to joke about the fact that I shouldn't come more often...

David performing a perfect imitation of Chewbaca right on cue from one of his classmates during the reading aloud of Corey's piece of writing...and me having a good belly-laugh, red in the face moment (no joke)...

Getting all my reading response letters for the day done at school without having to lug them home...and still squeezing in a quick trip to the gym before cooking dinner for the house...

A delicious dinner followed by a simple yet decadent pb & chocolate ice cream sandwich dessert...and that was after helping myself to seconds...


I could go on and on...again, it's the little things that I need to remember to stay focused on.

So, go ahead, I dare you. Make your gratitude list. What are you thankful for today?

No comments:

Post a Comment