Saturday, September 18, 2010

From the Mixed Up Files...

Welcome to my random, organized-disorganized thoughts for today:

This weather is surely going to kill me one of these weeks - 108 degrees outside right now, and this morning during my run (which was around 18 miles, I think - although, in this heat it could have easily only been about 15 miles) it was between 80 & 90. The scenery I ran by was beautiful, but it will so much more enjoyable once the temperature cools itself down... Chicago marathon, I keep questioning if you are worth all of this...

On a school note, in their first penpal letters of the year, my students were quick to include things about our school that are special and/or they like. In reading over those letters today (in between college football games), I was surprised by some of the things we do at our school that stick out to them...free dress on their birthdays, 1:30 early Wednesday dismissals, weekly mass (not capitalized), playing games to learn stuff, fun activities like writers and readers workshops (woo hoo!), snacks after ITBS testing, and more...

Such letters made me realize that my students probably won't remember specific things/topics we learn in the classroom, but they'll remember activities that make them feel special and/or take them outside of the ordinary. It makes me think I should really put in those requests for field trips to the state capitol museum and Hohokam Indian ruins...

On a different note, the ND vs MSU game will commence soon...and I am excited! Granted, I am a little torn, but I'm pulling for Notre Dame (just don't tell my grandpa). We're going to watch it here at the house, and we're having some friends (including the ACErs) over for the event. The menu will consist of chicken tacos, chips, and the beer in our fridge - we can finally get rid of it! After the game we'll head out to enjoy some dancing, either out in Tempe or at the local country western bar. (I'm pulling for the latter.) GO IRISH!!

No comments:

Post a Comment