Friday, September 3, 2010

The Not-So-Much "Art" of Multi-tasking

Why do some people pride themselves at being multi-taskers? If you give it a good, long thought, what is really going on? Yes, a bunch of things are being accomplished, but they are being done so at the sacrifice (usually) of quality.

Case in point - Sometimes when I have talked to my dad, he has threatened to hang up the phone because he hasn't felt I was listening and carrying on the conversation. Of course I was...but I was also either washing dishes, looking something up online, or doing other various tasks. In other words, I was "multi-tasking" but losing the heart of the conversation.

It happens at school too - Gotta check a quick email while taking attendance and answering the phone. Meanwhile, students have questions/comments about last night's homework, and we need to check our math homework before PE happens in 10 minutes! Phew. Yes, I get through it, but is it quality or quantity?

I fully realize we cannot usually attend to just one thought or task at a time, but I think it's about time this so-called "art" of multi-tasking gets some serious scrutiny. My goal this upcoming week is to try to multi-task less and increase my quality of participation in tasks/events/etc. more. I will let you know how this goes...

2 comments:

  1. there was a story about that on npr this past week... (or last week)

    they came to a similar conclusion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha - it turns out that our Salesian study day was about being mindful and present - I felt kind of an eerie sci-fi moment with the whole "doo doo doo doo" music.

    ReplyDelete