Friday, November 19, 2010

Caught up in the rush

There are some days when I wish I could simply teach my students patience. But it isn't something that can be taught - it has to be learned. And, in reality, it is a lifelong lesson that is hard for most anyone who is human (including myself) to fully grasp.

But really, what's the rush? (It's not even the holidays yet!)

student: "Miss Foyle, I finished!"
me: "We haven't even started yet." (sigh)
student: "Yeah, but I'm done."
me: "Great." (bigger sigh)

It's not a race. It's frustrating that oftentimes the students get so caught up in trying to get things done that they miss the point in the activity (or they lose easy points on a test).

Honestly, I am so tempted to try something where I have the students put their names on the paper and wait for directions. The ones who do, I think I will let them skip the activity, and the ones who get started without waiting to go over directions will have to complete the whole thing.

Will the lesson be learned? (I'm not trying to be mean - honest. I just want to see if it will work its magic.)

(On another note, 10 a.m. (noon EST) brings two very important college football games my way tomorrow, so that is going to require some serious channel flipping...and then I think I'll enjoy some down time before the ND game at 5. That might be the ideal time for that laundry I was thinking about yesterday...)

No comments:

Post a Comment