Oh beautiful for spacious skies for amber waves of grain...
Well, it would have been nice if the students had actually known the words to "My Country, 'Tis of Thee" as we sang it to close today's Mass. That's pretty much an American classic - a standard, if you will. I think every child growing up in America should know that song. It's right up there with "God bless America" in my book. Sigh.
But let me rewind because, overall, it was quite a nice day. This morning I almost killed a bird (not by running over it), jammed out to a few "Newsies" songs during my morning commute, and truly made an effort to see Jesus in each of my students. (That made some things that happened much more bearable.)
I think Sr. Ignacia got it right, though, as far as not taking the day off from school. It was nice to have an early dismissal day with a special Mass in which we honored our local veterans rather than take the day off in the name of a holiday that, quite likely, many of the students might never come to participate in. We had a special blessing for the veterans and everything, and after Mass all the students went through a line to shake their hands.
The day went pretty smoothly once the children got over the fact that they had missed PE due to Mass and weren't going to have it later in the day. The complaining was actually at a minimum today, for which I was rather thankful. Tomorrow is a day of regular length, but we do have a spirit rally in the afternoon - "Say No to Drugs and Yes to Jesus" - we'll see how it goes. We have a spirit stick to defend!
The school bell rang at 1:30 (well, that's a lie because it never really rang), and I was out the door by 2:05 - that was after I waited around to take the kids to aftercare, watered the plant ecosystems in our classroom, and picked up some pretty flowers Sr. Ignacia was giving away (they were donated for some reason). I talked with my grandpa on the way home, which was really nice, considering we had not spoken in awhile - I am so bad at the phone! I know I shouldn't use the phone while driving, but with a 40 minute commute home, it just eats away my time, so sometimes I gotta do what I gotta do. (At least I'm not texting!)
I was home before 3, so I made sure to put in my laundry and I also had time for a run - I made the mistake of having some Dove chocolates beforehand, though - those did not go over well. But the run was still nice, considering I haven't really been racking up the miles recently. We were then supposed to do happy hour, but that got canceled, so that gave me some extra time to do both loads of laundry (yes!) and get my car washed (boy, did that thing need a bath). My car is also now sporting the ACE Advocates logo sticker on the back windshield, thank you very much.
Helene and I watched the latest episode of Glee while we were waiting for George (and Kelsey who he had gone to pick up at the airport) to come home, so I am now officially caught up with the season. And I just finished up dinner with my housemates (and Kelsey!). I had a double helping of ice cream for dessert - my throat is so sore (but I'm not sick).
This weekend should be nice with the Maggie's Place run with Kelsey and Helene on Saturday morning and my school's Fall Gala Saturday night. I have some serious work to do to get my math at a better place, and I also need to plan some reading lessons for the 7 reading strategies for the upcoming weeks. (Marisa, I need some suggestions because I know you do these too!)
My bed is calling my name...and the best part about that is I have already cleared off my laundry. Score!
No comments:
Post a Comment