Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Ho hum Wednesday

Pretty sure I talked my mother's ear off on the phone tonight - and most of it was about the ACE Advocates Summit and what I plan to get started here in Phoenix. I think it's been quite some time since I've been this passionate about something...

Things have been going pretty well at school; although, I feel that I have not had much teaching time this week - our schedule is crazy! Today we analyzed ITBS data to see how our students are doing compared to the Diocese, nation, and on an individual longitudinal level. I looked at the scores of my kids from last year, and I found quite an interesting spread: Some went up leaps and bounds in the reading category and others went down in what was equivalent to a whole grade level. I know I shouldn't overanalyze test scores, but what a first glance tells me, as a teacher, is that my teaching of the subject seems to work well for those who are independent, self-motivated to dig deeper into the readings and enjoy/learn from books independently. However, I am missing some explicit teaching of reading strategies that need to be targeted to my lower level learners. I have a lot to do with my students this year to make sure I reach them all...

I'm excited to hopefully get some time to enjoy the book "The Power and the Glory" (Book Club pick with other ACE 15 grads - woo hoo!) tonight, as grading is going to be pretty much nonexistent until Friday, when I will have an influx of papers and projects - good times.

2 weeks until Thanksgiving...I am so excited...

No comments:

Post a Comment