Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Learning Lessons...the Hard Way

In thinking back over the events surrounding my student who was asked to leave the school, I realize that there are a number of things I have learned from this experience...

1. It is ok to be upset, but it is still important to remember that other people are going through trying times every day as well. It is not all about me. (And I apologize if I brought down anyone else's day with mine yesterday.)

2. The good of the whole needs to be taken into consideration, even in light of a difficult decision for one student. While it was difficult to have my student asked to leave the school, the hurt, problems, and distractions he was bringing to other people had been ongoing problems that were unacceptable. We did what we could for the student, so it was time for him to move on.

3. A person needs to be willing to change. (I think this one is self-explanatory.)

4. People are inherently good. Now, someone may disagree with me here, but speaking with the parents of the boy who was injured by the student who was asked to leave really opened my eyes. Yes, they were upset about the incident, and, yes, they were very worried about their son, but in no way were they looking for revenge. They were so sorry it had come to asking the student to leave the school, and they had taught their son that it was never ok to fight back. They were so understanding and gracious about everything - especially in today's society, I feel that some people are just looking for ways to put blame on someone, sue a school, etc. I am so grateful for their attitude and kindness.

5. Chocolate (especially dark chocolate) and friends (via phone, a note, in person, or through a spontaneous invite to dinner) can help put things in perspective. My friends have always been good listeners, and they help me stay positive and hopeful about all situations. (And the chocolate, well I knew that part already.)

6. No matter how a day starts, it can always go in a way other than you ever expected. Therefore, it is best to be prepared for everything. And considering how we obviously can't control everything, that means placing every day as a gift in God's hands and keeping Him at the center of all we do. No matter what happens, God is watching out for us, guiding us through our days.

I could probably go on here, but those are quite a few thoughts to ponder at present. Again, I want to thank everyone who offered consolation and prayers through everything - it means so much for your friendship, love, and support.

Here is a Bible passage I leave you with tonight (I was reminded of it by one of my ACE friends):

"Yes, Lord. This is how you were pleased to have it happen." Matt 11:26

No comments:

Post a Comment