Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Adios, August...Salutations, September!

After having practically been in school for four weeks, I still find it hard to believe I was switching pages on calendars and making copies of reading logs for a new month this morning. All good things must come to an end, I suppose, as the saying goes, and, even though August has provided some pitfalls and crazy situations, it has been, overall, a solid first month of school.

...But I have a confession - there are still days I long to be back with my class from last year, especially when I see them out on the playground field or when I talk with them while I'm on cafeteria duty. There are times when they will come by after school to check out a book from my classroom library or just stop by for a hug or hello. (Today, in fact, one parent was teasing me that her daughter will never cut the umbilical cord because she loves me as a teacher that much, and that made me smile.)

But then I was puzzled - what made last year's class that much more endearing than my first class (whom I thought I would never have a class I loved as much) - is it that with each year, my heart has learned to love that much more? If that's the case, come a few years from now I'll really be a mess at the start (and end, obviously) of each school year. Something to think about...


Quick highlights from the day:

- During reading aloud from "Despereaux", I accidentally called the character 'Mig' a 'pig' because it came right after the author had talked about 'the (princess) Pea', hence the "p" sound. Well, we all had a good laugh from that one.

- Robert, randomly, at lunch observing that with their milk cartons, he and Rafa and Brianna had formed a triangle. I went on to observe that each of them had a different color milk container, and that also pleased him. Oh, the little things!

- While finishing up for the day on our flip book of the liturgical seasons of the Church, Robert (again) asking, "Did we do Lent yet?" to which I responded, "Not yet," and then, he proceeded to say, "Oh good, I caught up!" (And I, in my head, did a cartwheel of joy - he tends to be behind...a lot...)

- During Social Studies, I was trying to show on a large map of AZ where our county was, and I ended up pulling down the whole map, hooks and all. Perfect. Guess I need to put in a maintenance request for that one. I think I just need a new hook - why the darn thing wouldn't roll itself back up I'll never know...At least it didn't hit anyone on the way down - not even me.

- Joseph (grade 5 now) stopping by after school with Eddie and Anthony (on their way to flag football) to tell me they made me a thank you card for a couple of books I had purchased for their classroom library. Puzzled, I asked if they were supposed to tell me, and the looks on their faces told me that they probably weren't. Ha ha. Cute, though...

No comments:

Post a Comment