Thursday, August 19, 2010

Why I Have Come to Love Thursdays...

After yesterday's blog, which to some may be considered a downer (or at least veering from my usual chipper self), it's time to get back to the positives:

Why do I love Thursdays?

1. It is almost the weekend.
2. My students have two morning specials, PE & Computers. This translates to the following morning schedule: Students come to school and I take them to Morning Message. We go up to the classroom, unpack, and check our homework and agendas. Students go to PE (45 min). We have Social Studies (45 min). Then, we have 45 minutes of Readers' Workshop (my favorite period of the day) before they go to Computers (45 min). We come back upstairs for 15 mintues before lunch and recess start at 11:45. Essentially, that's 90 minutes (well, subtract a few minutes for transitions and being late) of prep time. Amen!
3. In large part due to #2, I should never feel stressed getting to school on Thursdays because there is built-in time for copies and/or grading, meetings, etc.
4. There are no after school activities...yet. (However, yesterday's reflection leads me to realize that all of that is about to change.)
5. It is George's night to cook dinner. This is usually done in the crockpot, which means that when I get home from school (usually via the gym) the whole house smells heavenly!

I could probably come up with more reasons, but 5 is enough for now...

Best quote from the classroom today: "Normally, we could solve it like this, but, and this is a really big but (taken by some as 'butt')..." - well, as you can imagine, most everyone, including myself, ended up in giggles. That was not one of my corny jokes I meant to say - it just came out. Then, I changed my statement, using 'if' instead, and we moved on.

In other happenings and ponderings, the song "All My Tomorrows" (sung by Frank Sinatra) has been popping into my head a lot recently. The lyrics, I know, are meant to be sung between a guy and a girl, but I can't help changing the meaning to be between myself and God.

Think about it -->
"Today I may not have a thing at all,
Except for just a dream or two.
But I've got lots of plans for tomorrow,
And all my tomorrows belong to you..."

Maybe this thought keeps coming to me because a prayer card I have hanging from a bulletin board above my desk at home says "All your tomorrows are in God's hands" and references Philippians 1:6 ("He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion."). For me, such a slight change in thought makes this song 100x more powerful, and it is beautiful!

Time to hit the shower - this AZ heat is 100+ every day with no let-up in sight. And even running in the gym makes one sweat like nobody's business. Cleanliness calls...

1 comment:

  1. Everything is up for your own interpretation, and your interpretation of that (incredible and fantastic) song is excellent and insightful! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete