Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Have a Little Faith

The intention of this blog is to mainly be a reflection on my teaching and spirituality.

So, let's be honest here. This summer was incredible on multiple fronts - 1) I got to spend it working and hanging out with some amazing fellow ACErs; 2) I was on ND campus, with instant access to the Basilica and, more importantly, the Grotto; and 3) This was the most time I have spent focusing on my own spirituality and relationship with God - and this bears further breakdown.

I've always been highly involved in my Church, from growing up at Holy Family with an amazing parish and K-8 Catholic school experience to leadership retreats and Gospel Roads in high school at SPC to participating/leading the Catholic Student Union at USF. But all of these experiences have been largely focused on my faith in respect to the community as a whole versus my reflection on my personal relationship with God.

This summer, though, took me down a different path in my faith life - one that kind of kicked me in the butt (in a good way). I started reading Catholic articles online, and I am currently reading "My Life with the Saints" and the Magnificat. This is not to say I don't enjoy my recreational reading - I actually am "reading" 'To Kill a Mockingbird' by listening to the book on cd on my way to and from school every day. But it's been reading books/articles I never would have picked up before this summer. I also spent much time in personal reflection (through the daily examen and prayer in the IEI basement at work) and daily trips to the Grotto (night or day, no matter). Never have I lit more prayer candles!

But like all good things, summer came to a close. After a brief visit home to FL (yay Tampa), I flew back to AZ to settle in and start up back at school. Literally, I got in Monday evening, got picked up by Helene and taken to the car dealership, got my car, drove home, took a few things out of bags/boxes, slept, and started in-service Tuesday morning at SJV. While it has been a whirlwind of activity, it was good to be back and see my colleagues and some of the students. My classroom is a work in progress (as is my room at home), but it's getting there, slowly but surely. And the errands have been many, but it's been an adventure. I am still in search for a bed and a desk, but I'll get there. That AZ drivers' license probably should happen some time soon too...

This is what I'm afraid of - losing sight of that relationship with God because I'm bogging myself down with so many other worries and responsibilities. It's one thing to pray with the students multiple times a day and another totally different thing to spend time alone in prayer with God.

Goals for tomorrow - Eat. Pray. Love. (Just kidding) --> 1) Spend some time dedicated in prayer alone with God; 2) Finish classroom bulletin boards, name tags, and decorations; 3) Go for a run around the neighborhood; 4) Buy veggies @ Safeway!

Oh, and it would be great to leave school by 5pm...

No comments:

Post a Comment