Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A lesson in distracting Miss Foyle...

What happens when you distract Miss Foyle during an intense read aloud of "The Tale of Despereaux"? Well, if you're lucky like Josh, you might get called a princess. Humor me here for a minute as I elaborate...

With 26 students, it is kind of inevitable that one of them will be getting in trouble or distracted at any given time, and today was no exception. While "Despereaux" is, indeed, very engaging, poor Josh was somewhat distracted. And, therefore, I became distracted, but I kept reading. I read something along the lines of "Then, the Princess, Josh, saw the mouse," which came out sounding like I had called Josh a princess. Needless to say, everyone pretty much went into hysterics - including me - and when we finally settled down, I insisted that no one call him "Princess Josh" and that it was my mistake. I also used this opportunity to explain to the students what could happen should they distract Miss Foyle during a lesson or read aloud. Lesson learned? Let's hope so.

Aside from that, Day 2 passed relatively smoothly - more procedures, routines, and the like. Plus, it was an early dismissal day (1:30 pm) with no faculty meeting! I ended up leaving school around 3, at which point I went to the gym and then to the library. I don't relish running on a treadmill, but in this AZ heat, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. And at the library I made the switch between "To Kill a Mockingbird" (finished it on the way home) and "House Rules" (that new Jodi Picoult book - I'm excited to get into it).

Well, the dinner bell is going to be ringing shortly, so to speak. Kind of late to be eating at 8:15, but I had some snacks when I got home. I just hate going to bed on a full stomach...

Until next time, my friends...

No comments:

Post a Comment