I got to sleep in for about 10 extra minutes this morning...on purpose...then it was up and at 'em. Showered & dressed, put on the coffee, packed a lunch, ate breakfast, poured the coffee, grabbed my bags, and was out the door. When I got to school, I realized I had left my packed lunch bag on the counter. Great. School lunch here I come. Not 100% excited, but it was food. And it turned out to be not so bad - they have more choices for the main meal now, so today I had a taco bowl with salad and chicken plus the little salad bar of fruits and veggies. I also got an account set up with the lunch program just in case I forget my lunch again...
As it was nearing the start of school, I heard my phone buzz. Puzzled as to who would be calling me at that time, I picked it up. It was Dan - he and Molly were stuck on the I-10 behind a vehicle fire. On any other given day, I would have probably been stuck in that same area, but for some reason I chose to try the Loop 101 today. While traffic got backed up merging onto the I-10, it apparently wasn't as bad as taking the I-10 all the way in. Guess I lucked out... And we covered Dan's and Molly's classes during morning message, so it all worked out. Crazy...
The rest of the day went well, for the most part. We are still working on our listening skills. "Despereaux" continues to bring joy to the hearts of my students (yeah!), and Sr. Ignacia even came in during read aloud. Nice. We started math class today as well as writers' workshop, both of which seemed to go well. The students seem pretty excited about just about everything. We'll see how long that lasts, but I am optimistic. Above everything else, I came to realize today that these students just really want attention - they're truly good kids. After school, I purchased a Gala t-shirt (they're red with a neat design) with the sole purpose of being able to wear jeans tomorrow (it's an ongoing promotion for the event until November). Score!
There were a number of highlights today. One was a package in the mail from my mom and sister complete with a few leftover graduation gifts, a cd, the new Bulls shirt, and rice krispie treats (which are now more than half gone - apparently they go well after a dinner of Italian beef - yum!). I also got a nice card in the mail from my mom with some comics/pictures of frogs and cacti in addition to a few gift cards. And, speaking of mail, my new AZ license plate came today! When I get home tomorrow, my mission is to get it on my car. Another fortunate thing that happened today was that I stopped at the Tropical Smoothie Cafe on my way home from school (prior to my quick stop at the gym), and due to the fact that it took about 10 minutes just to make a smoothie, the manager proceeded to give me a coupon for a free smoothie for my next visit. I'll take it. Talk about hitting the jackpot...
Other than that, dinner was delicious, complete with strawberries (and those rice krispie treats) for dessert. I hope to get some reading of "My Life with the Saints" in tonight before bed, as I don't really have any grading yet this week. I did go through a number of goal sheets and getting to know you surveys last night (as well as put together my new desk in my room! - strangely satisfying), which took awhile, so I think I deserve a break...
I'm looking forward to the weekend. I have a lot of book reports to look over and some lessons to prep for/plan, so I might just have to make a trip to First Watch or something after I attempt another long run in this crazy AZ heat. Maybe I should aim to start at 5 a.m. instead. And I need to get up to at least 15 miles, I should think. I was on the website for the Chicago Marathon today and its countdown was something like 58 days to go. Let the countdown continue...
No comments:
Post a Comment