Do you know how some days it's just plain dangerous to walk into the teachers' lounge because of some delicious treat (that may or may not actually be that delicious) screaming out from the table, "Eat Me!"? Well, today was one of those days...and it was flan. And it actually was delicious - not like my friend, Alfredo, used to make for weekly potlucks, but it was satisfying. (It was actually part of my mid-morning snack - right before the banana.) At least by the end of the day it had all been eaten, so no worries that it will be staring me down again tomorrow. Phew...
Today's classes went pretty well, especially considering it was a Monday. By the late afternoon, the kids were ready to bounce off the walls, but I still have to hand it to them for all of their hard work this morning. We started off with Morning Message, and when we got to the classroom, the students found they had new seats (I had prepped them for that discovery - good move on my part), and they did their morning routine/activity. We followed that up with quick shares from the weekend before beginning religion class. Today's topic? The parts of the Liturgy and who's involved in the Mass. The students actually took notes, and I think I convinced them it was fun to learn this information. I hope they retain the info for tomorrow (and life, but that's pretty lofty)!
The day marched on with the spelling pretest for the week, pre-reading for science lab, a quick game of 4 Cardinal Directions (for review), and then our Special, Library. Science lab directly followed, and this week's lab centered on building a model with straws, paper clips, and tape. Some groups had a rough time, but others appeared to do pretty well. We'll see how the models hold up when we test them next week. :) Upstairs for a brief read aloud (from Despereaux Book 3) before the kids were out to recess and then lunch.
By the time we got back from lunch, the students were a little (ok, a LOT) squirrely. Math was relatively painful, but we got through the material before our last subject of the day, Writers' Workshop. I began reading them "The Important Book" that is a compilation of paragraphs about subjects ranging from the snow to apples to grass to the reader him/herself. But some of the students were slap-happy at this point, which made the reading a little difficult. However, once the students got to writing on their own, they were doing much better. The students' subjects ranged from soccer to tv shows to a burrito (don't ask), and they were pretty good. We will turn them into paragraphs tomorrow, so please send up an extra prayer for us!
Oh, and one more thing I realized today - girls' volleyball starts up this week, which means on Thursday I'm staying later to coach. I'll get the games schedule on Wednesday too. I think it will be fun, considering most of the girls I have taught in class in previous years. Yay!
This is getting longer than anticipated, and the enchiladas will soon be coming out of the oven. I already showered tonight (after the gym), which means I don't have to get up any earlier than I would normally on a Tuesday, even though I will be prepping tomorrow's dinner before I go to school. Thank goodness! Sleep makes all the difference - trust me, I went to bed pre-9 p.m. last night (even after some recreation reading) and got up at 5 a.m. - 8 hours = miracle!
Here's hoping more sleep comes my way tonight; although, many an IRA (International Reading Association) article are staring me in the face right now...Alas...
No comments:
Post a Comment