With the start of school just two days away, today was anything but lazy (minus that 2+ hour nap this afternoon, but I'll get to that later...).
My alarm clock sounded at 5:30 a.m. - it was time for my long run of the week. The goal was to go for about 2.5 hours, but let's just say it was a tad bit too hot for that, so I settled at right over 2 hours instead - not too far off, but I should be up to about 18 miles and I only did about 13. Chicago Marathon is going to be a challenge, but it'll be fun regardless. I love running in new cities! In all fairness, the heat + lack of sleep (about 3 hours in all honesty - we were out until about 2:30 last night - nothing crazy of anything, so don't worry) = not my best quality run, but all things considered it was still pretty good.
I tell you, a shower never feels so good as right after a long run and stretch. A quick breakfast, and then I was off to school/Mass (after a brief stop at Starbucks - why, hello refreshing mocha frappucino!). Before Church I was able to do a few things in the classroom, which was good, considering I didn't want to be there all afternoon. :) At Church I sat in front of one of our school families, so I chatted with them briefly. The mom was so cute, saying how her daughter can't wait to be in my class next year. Meanwhile, I'm thinking, hold on a second - Don't get too excited because who knows what next year will bring or where it will bring me! Then, a rather nice older woman sat down next to me, and, while we were singing the preparation song, I shared the song book with her. Afterwards, she told me, "You have such a beautiful voice." That was a nice compliment! And how appropriate the Mass readings talk about our treasures we have/use. I guess that's one of mine...
After Mass I ran into some families, some of which I am teaching their children, and I also ran into 3 of my students from last year. Again, I can't wait for Molly (new ACE 5th grade teacher) to meet them! Then, it was back to the classroom for desk readying and the like. The classroom itself is pretty much ready - still a few things to write on the board and print out, but we're almost good to go. I'm going in early tomorrow and pretty much staying all day (except for an excursion to the MVD for my new AZ license and probably a trip out for dinner) until Meet the Teacher Night, which goes from 7-9 pm. After that, I'll probably head straight home for bed!
With my classroom looking pretty good, I decided to call it a day at school, and I went for some lunch at Wildflower Bread Company, which is kind of like a Panera or Corner Bakery but with more options (website: http://www.wildflowerbread.com/). As I walked in, the aroma of fresh-baked goodies overwhelmed me, and my hunger kicked in. I noticed a pumpkin chocolate chip muffin in the display, and I decided that I wanted that as my side to whatever else I chose to eat, which ended up being a hummus salad plate with garlic crouton bread for dipping. What a delicious combination! Feeling stuffed, I next traveled to Target (across the street) with the main mission of securing a desk for my bedroom. However, they did not have the desk I wanted, but I did get some organizing bins for my room and a chair for when I do get a desk. And as far as a bed goes, I might be able to get one from the ACE house (they have an extra day bed in their garage), which would be awesome! As for that desk, it looks like I will have to try another Target.
On my way home (just a quick side note here - the Tropical Smoothie Cafe is now open - looks like I can finally get that smoothie after all!), I continued to listen to "To Kill a Mockingbird" on cd. I'm on the trial part where the Ewells are on the witness stand. Cissy Spacek narrates it, and she does a phenomenal job with voices and such. It's a good thing it's so good because it helped keep me awake! The next book I am going to "read" is a Jodi Picoult book called "House Rules," which is about a boy with Asperger's syndrome and his experience with the court system (realistic fiction).
As I pulled into our driveway, I realized I was the only one home. I brought in my things I had bought at the store, and pretty much dumped them on the floor before setting my alarm and passing out for about 2 hours on the air mattress in my room. I think this made up for most of my lack of sleep last night. I awoke feeling much better! Then, I called my parents and talked with them for awhile (always nice!) and I caught Marisa as she just got home from Church (yay).
I think I'll head to bed here shortly. I'm going to try to get in a short jog tomorrow morning before getting groceries and then heading off to school. Buenas Noches! (and sweet dreams)
No comments:
Post a Comment