Monday, August 9, 2010

A Looooooong Day

School officially starts in, what, 9.5 hours? That's less time than I spent at school today...well, that's not entirely true because 2 hours of my time (out of about 11 hours) were spent at the MVD getting my AZ drivers' license (woo hoo!) and about 45 minutes were spent having dinner with the two new ACE teachers and Natalie at Schlotzky's. But, to get back to the main point, that's a long time on that side of town. Let's recap the day, shall we?

Brief jog around 6:30 a.m. - it was probably around the mid-80s, but it surprisingly felt nice. Hopped in the shower, put on some coffee, and went to Safeway for my weekly groceries. Then, it was in the car and off to school - I must say, I am making quite a bit of progress on "To Kill a Mockingbird" - within the next couple of days, I should be able to return it and get that next one. Yeah! On my way, I noticed that the smoothie place opened, so I stopped for one, and then I went to the teacher store to get a few books and a large tablet writing chart.

This put me right around 10ish, when I made some schedule adjustments, activities copies, and other organizational things. I had packed a lunch, so I decided to eat it before I went to the MVD (which turned out to be a good idea). I had to call my mom on the way because I forgot to get directions before I left school - oops! And when I got to the MVD, the line/waiting area was packed - it took about an hour and a half just to get through line to pay and then get my picture taken. No eye test, no driving test - just payment & picture. Well, at least it's done, and my AZ license doesn't expire until 2051. (And I got to keep my FL one as a souvenir, although, now it is hole-punched.)

More scheduling and board-writing upon my return to school, and then a quick dinner before Meet the Teacher night, which was pretty successful, I must say. I was kind of overwhelmed by so many parents (all of whom seemed pretty eager to get the year started and had nothing but good/high expectations for the year - good to hear) as well as with students from last year. It was hard to pay attention to so many people at once! Guess I better get used to that with 28 kids, right?

Made it back home in record time - 35 minutes - and am now watching "Up" with a couple of my roommates. But bed is calling, even though I know I won't fall asleep easily tonight. It never fails - 1st day of school jitters I suppose. Does it ever get easier come each year?

Oh, Good night Moon...

No comments:

Post a Comment