One thing Sr. Ignacia sure knows how to do is throw a big party. Actually, the neatest thing about the day was how we started out in prayer as a school community in front of the Blessed Sacrament in adoration. Wow, what a great message that sends to the students - thank God for every blessing in our lives!
We had some time with the students in our classrooms before heading down to the "party", so I took my students to the computer lab to do some basic research for a social studies project, and then we proceeded to take our spelling test and do read aloud. Before we knew it, it was time to head downstairs.
2nd - 4th grades were grouped together, and they played for about a half hour with sports equipment (and in many cases, their imaginations). Then, it was time to dance. Things started out great, as we did line dances like "Cha Cha Slide", "Cupid Shuffle", "Electric Slide", etc. Even songs by Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber proved to be enjoyable. However, we did have a slight "oops!" moment, when the unclean version of "Tonight I'm Loving You" came on ("f" word and all), but we had that song stopped pretty quickly. Oh dear.
Lunch was fun - picnic style out in the courtyard. And another recess? Hallelujah! Well, there was no hope in corralling the students after that, so it's a good thing I planned ahead of time to watch the movie "Oliver!" (in conjunction with our current read aloud book). Keep in mind, it's the musical version, so the students certainly groaned and complained about all the singing, but I think they rather liked it. In fact, they were trying to figure out how the movie could happen without certain characters that I promised them would never appear in the film but who had rather large roles in the book. Man, was that a heated discussion! We made it to right after the entr'acte when the bell rang to signal the end of the day. Phew!
I wish I could say that I spent my evening doing anything but school-related things, but I would be lying through my teeth. At least all papers are graded, entered, and sorted/stapled into student packets. The rest of the weekend will be devoted to lesson planning (and sub planning for Tuesday - conference!), running, doing errands, sleeping, reading, and (of course) watching the Academy Awards.
Who aims for bed before 9 p.m. on a Friday night? Ummm, this girl does. Sweet dreams.
No comments:
Post a Comment