It was quite an early start to my morning, as I rolled over before my alarm went off (at 4:20). Then, we had a nearly 3 hour drive ahead of us to reach just outside of Flagstaff. When we arrived it was not crowded at all, and we easily rented our skis and paid for our lift tickets. The day was promising to be absolutely beautiful with plenty of sunshine and highs in the 40s. After putting on some sunscreen and stuffing our shoes and bags in a locker, we were ready to hit the slopes.
Well, I was kind of ready - let's just say it has been about a year since I last skied, and I have only skied (counting today) a total of 3 times ever. I did do a run I didn't try last year - and, as a result, I ended up wiping out, leaving one ski and a pole behind as I rocketed down the mountain for about 50 feet before I was able to stop myself. It was quite an experience, and one I chose not to try to relive. I realized that the bunny slopes were where it was at, no question.
With that decision, though, I had made the decision to continue the day on my own, as the others were more comfortable and confident with their skiing...
In my afternoon ski trials, I met a number of different people, mostly from sitting on the lifts for so long, one of whom was there with a friend who was an alumna of USF (Go Bulls!) and another who was a 6 year old boy from Phoenix whose twin brother was also there (he was so adorable!). I truly had a blast. And I got much better at my turns too!
For today, I was happy to share my Saturday. It was good to laugh, have fun, and even make a fool of myself with both friends and complete strangers.
(And it was also nice to make it out of there without any broken bones or big bruises. Phew!)
No comments:
Post a Comment