Thursday, October 14, 2010

After school "free" time

I had forgotten what it feels like to end the day at 3:00 (well, 3:15) and not have some immediate school-related activity demanding my attention - no volleyball game or practice, no faculty meeting, no sign language club, no school-related errands... I had time to grade and make it out of the parking lot before 4:30. Yes, I had forgotten this "free" time. To have it was honestly a small miracle.

It was probably a good thing I didn't have much teaching time with the students today, seeing as their attention spans seemed especially low today. And who can blame them? They had PE first thing, and then they took their math test, which was followed by finishing "James and the Giant Peach" (after which they broke out into part of the "Cha Cha Slide" and "Celebrate good times, come on!"). And then there was a tiny bit of independent reading time before they were up and out again to computer class. While they were there, I picked up our Scholastic Book Orders (the new Rick Riordan book is out) and sorted those, and then I got the students back upstairs for about 10 minutes of read aloud before it was time for recess and lunch. (Insert breath here.)

After lunch, you would have thought Jesus himself was coming to campus - but it was only a couple of Minor League Baseball players from the Cincinnati Reds training team who were coming to talk to the students and answer their questions. The session was pretty good, and it ended with autographs and pictures. Cute! And we were back to the classroom for some Writers' Workshop before packing up to go home.

What a day.

I missed a call from one of my housemates from last year (I was driving); I stopped my workout early at the gym (my knee started to hurt a little but now feels just fine); I almost burned dinner (but it ended up tasting great); and I watched USF lose pretty miserably to WVU...but things are looking pretty good. Tomorrow starts the weekend - Sure, there are errands to run (oil change for the car, Target trip, etc.) and football games to watch (Go State! Go ND!) and grading to do, but there should also be time to breathe...

...and pray for some cooler weather to grace us soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment