Here are some of the hardest things about having almost no remnants of a voice:
A) being unable to cheer/yell at the tv during college football (although I've tried);
B) being unable to talk with friends and family over the phone (especially when I really would have liked to catch up);
C) having a harder time coaching the girls' volleyball team from the sideline (reminding them to keep their arms straight is a constant struggle); and
D) being unable to sing in the shower (or along with the radio, for that matter)
Guess what it boils down to is that I need to choose my words carefully...very carefully...
And what if this were true in all areas of life, especially in the classroom? What things/messages are that essential for me to get across to my students, and what are some of those things that I can forgo? Think about it - those students are sometimes "talked at" all day, and when they are not being talked at, they are distracted by talking to each other (or just to the air around them) - how can I turn that around?
In all honesty, I realize that students learn more from my actions than my words. How appropriate, then, that the feast of St. Francis of Assisi is on Monday because he was the one who said, "Preach the Gospel at all times; when necessary, use words." Yes, only when necessary should I need to use words...
...and then maybe my voice will heal...
Ok, it's time for some tea for this girl! Hopefully we will soon be able to celebrate the victory of Michigan State. (Beat Wisconsin!)
No comments:
Post a Comment