Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween!

Let's be clear about one thing before I begin this post - This week's college football Saturday was horrendous, and we are putting it behind us. There, done.

Now, what a weekend it has been - not in any crazy way, mind you. I tend to try to keep things low key. Well, I kicked off the weekend with my last parent-teacher conference (woo hoo!) and then stayed for the school's All Hallow's Eve event. It was cute to see the kids in their costumes. Some of the parents even dressed up too. My favorite parent costume was Alexandra's mom. She walked up to me with Smarties candies pinned all over her jeans - apparently, she was "smarty pants". Clever! I chose the leprechaun (no muss - no fuss) route, and it went over well. I have included a picture below:


After the school carnival, I had every intention of going to the Bourgade Homecoming game, but I was pretty tuckered out, and I had received news just a little earlier about some decisions being made about one of my students and his presence at our school. Needless to say, that never makes any teacher feel good. So, home-bound I was, and I spent the evening on the couch grading papers.

Saturday was fun. I started the day with a run, although, it was not as long as I would have liked because the heat (we're still hitting the 90s, folks!) was pretty tough on me, and then I watched some college football (again, ugly!) while stapling some test/paper packets for my students to send home on Monday. I made a quick trip to Kohl's to try to find a dress for the Fall Gala coming up for my school, but, alas, I could not find anything that suited me, so I decided I would wear the dress I wore for graduation up at ND this summer. I think it's a fair compromise. (And that's less money I will spend - yeah!)

In the evening, George and I went over to the ACErs' house for dinner, pumpkin-carving, and a scary movie. While my pumpkin ended up being very different from the typical jack-o-lanterns carved by the others, it really represented an Arizona Halloween. As I told Dan (one of the ACErs at my school), "We never do pumpkins halfway in our family. It's all or nothing." (I think Dad would be proud of my pumpkin-carving skills this time.) Here's a picture of it:


And now it is Sunday. I am planning to go to school for Mass with Molly (one of the ACErs at my school), and then we are readying our classrooms for Monday. Woo hoo. I also need to stop by the store later to pick up some candy we can hand out to the kids in our neighborhood. Then, it will be back to the house for lesson planning and getting sub plans ready for Friday because this girl is headed to Notre Dame! I am so excited for the ACE Advocates conference (and for seeing my sister's classroom and meeting her students on Friday!).

Have a safe and happy Halloween!

2 comments:

  1. this miss foyle is pretty psyched too! :)

    nice pictures. :) costume and pumpkin both get an a+

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the pumpkin! Saguaro cactus! Sorry about your student...

    ReplyDelete