"In my country, we have a proverb. It says, 'When two elephants fight, the grass loses.' Well, yesterday, one of the elephants lost too. Notre Dame managed to beat Boston College in football yesterday..."
Thus started the priest at St. Paul's homily. I liked the guy already.
The entire Mass was beautiful, but I was frustrated because I could not respond or sing - literally, I had no voice. Maybe I should share my feelings with my students. Seriously, it really made me wonder how at Mass they can just sit there and do nothing, not be compelled to participate or anything - it baffles me!
Sometimes it amazes me how without fail God speaks to me at the most appropriate times with what I need to hear most...
I realized this the most this weekend as I was continuing my reading of "My Life with the Saints". The author, a Jesuit priest, was speaking about an ailment he had of his hand, which made things very difficult for him as a writer. He said, though, that "the pain makes me more grateful for what I write...and the pain makes me more careful about what I write, since I'm limited in my ability to write." What a time for an affirmation of what I was thinking about my voice - I need to be grateful and careful every time I use it! (In Miss Foyle's classroom, we would call this a "Text-to-Self" connection.)
This time, God, I heard you loud and clear. And maybe your message won't reach me in the simplest way every time, but I know you are answering my prayers and helping me in my life's vocation. No prayer goes unanswered - in this, I am resolute. So, thank you, Lord, for hearing me, even when I have no voice with which to speak.
One last thought...
By this time next week, God-willing, Marisa and I will have crossed the finish line of the Chicago Marathon (10-10-10)...Holy cow, is it race time already?
No comments:
Post a Comment