Friday, October 1, 2010

Going, Going, Gone...

Pretty sure the voice was heading for its doom all week, but it really took a nosedive today in the afternoon, when I was "fighting" for the students' attention. Granted, it was a Friday afternoon and hot as the dickens, and most of the week had been good, but that's still no excuse. I feel horrible about this, but I actually yelled at the students today (bad teacher!) because I was up to my eyeballs. Later, I apologized, and for a little bit the kids settled down and actually listened, but that didn't last long. Eventually (in the middle of science class) I had the students just put their heads down, and I turned off the lights and turned on the music. This was one battle I would surely not win.

My mission for the weekend = to say AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE - my voice is completely shot, and I am so hoarse it is very difficult to make out what I am even trying to say. I'm not sick - voice is just nonexistent. Fiddlesticks.

Were there any shining moments of the day? Absolutely - the students always do some incredible (or at least rather funny) things or make some solid connections. Let's see what today brought...


Rene: "Miss Foyle, what was that phrase we said yesterday - something about jumping? Can we say it again?"
Me: "Jumping Jehosophat!" (from James and the Giant Peach - we had all said it together during the read aloud)
All students: "Jumping Jehosophat!"

---
from student spelling sentences:
- Bullies aren't the smartest people. (Brianna G.)
- I'm starved for a hamburger from Red Robin. (Yamilet)
- You may call me "Professor". (Taina)
- My alarm barked at me. (Alexandra)
- I have a farther. (I think Daniel meant "father".)
- Teachers seem to have a built-in radar. (Brianna G.)

---
during the read aloud of "Narnia":
Me: "Now, if Peter is with Mr. Beaver, and the girls are helping out in the house...hmm...are you wondering what I am wondering?"
almost whole class: "Where's Edmund?!"
Me: "Absolutely."

---
Josh: "Miss Foyle, Notre Dame is going to lose to Boston College, aren't they?"
Me: "Don't say that, Josh."
Josh: "But, Miss Foyle, Boston College - they're 3 & 1, aren't they?"
Me: "I don't know. But we should be 3 & 1."
Josh: "Yeah, we should."

---
after school...
Anthony (student from last year): "Your room is so awesome."
Me: "Oh really, Anthony, and why is that?"
Anthony: "Everything's in the same place it was last year - Mary Help of Christians sign, portraits...Are you going to put up the book list like last year?"
Me: "I don't think so."
Anthony: "And we had great read alouds."
...


Signing off to read (now that grading is done). Tomorrow I shall attempt to organize all the student work into packets and make a cover letter to send it all home at once on Monday. And, hey, 5:45 or 6 a.m. will seem like sleeping in on Saturday compared to my previous weekends of 5 a.m. risings - last "long" run before the marathon.

Chicago next weekend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment